Spring Forward with Moms on Call’s No Fail Guide to Thriving Through Daylight Savings
Changing the clocks forward is a challenge for all! How do we also ensure our little’s entire schedule doesn’t get thrown off? Keep reading to spring forward with Moms on Call’s “No Fail Guide” to thriving through daylight savings.
On Sunday March 14th, 2021, daylight saving resets and we adjust our clocks forward one hour. How can we ensure that our little one’s entire schedule doesn’t get thrown off?
Hint: It’s not as hard as you think! Let’s break it down!
First, make sure the basics are in place.
- Use Moms on Call’s famous Typical Day schedules (found in our books and courses) to help:
- Develop and keep amazing sleep habits!
- Promote proper digestion!
- Encourage appropriate development for your baby’s age by following their natural daily rhythms
- Give you freedom (with flexibility)! Because let’s face it, in parenting, freedom is a planned endeavor. Flexibility is built in to help keep everyone on track when things inevitably don’t go as planned!
- Create an ideal sleep environment, that is both effective and safe! The most important elements are:
Next, follow these 5 simple steps!
- Saturday night, March 13th, put your child to bed at the usual time.
- Before you go to sleep, adjust the clocks forward 1 hour. Analog clocks, microwave, oven, cars and the coffee maker (this one is very important!) will need to be changed manually. Smart phones and computers will adjust automatically in the middle of the night.
- Sunday morning (March 14th) wake your little one according to the NEW time on the clock. Resist the urge to let them sleep in.
- Keep the rest of the day on your regular schedule, following the clock and not baby’s cues.
- Be patient! Transitions typically take 3 days! And before you know it, both you and baby will be adjusted! You can do this, and they can too!
Remember, the best way to set our kids up for success is to focus on the things that we can control, like the sleep environment and the routine! They will figure the rest out!