Nail Clipping 101
We know how scary clipping baby’s nails can be and we are here to help!
Moms on Call is excited to walk you through all of the ins and outs of parenting from birth through toddlerhood. Today’s topic is nail clipping 101, and although newborn nails may be tiny, they are fierce!
Bath time has ended, and it’s a great time to clip baby’s nails. Let’s get real; we can’t keep those cute little fingers locked up in baby mittens forever.
At Moms on Call, we know how scary trimming their tiny nails can be, and we are here to help!
Nail Clipping Tips
- Use nail clippers with a grip at the end
- This will help you hold on to the clippers easily
- The Baby’s back is against your chest
- Gently place baby’s finger on your index finger
- Pull the skin under the nail away from the nail
- Gently guide the edge of the nail clipper under the nail
- This will create a white line on the nail, making it easy to see where we are clipping
- It may take a few clips per nail. Be patient and stay calm.
- The baby may be wiggly, making nail clipping difficult
- Put it on hold and try again later. You don’t have to clip all ten fingernails in the same sitting!
- Other great times for nail clipping are after they have eaten or when they are asleep.
Watch our Baby Basics video for a demonstration of proper nail clipping!
Remember, these moments are great bonding experiences with the baby. These are the times to talk with your little one about your day and, if we’ve been away from them, how we have missed them.
Be sure to watch the rest of our Baby Basics videos for tips that will help to make life just a little simpler.
And if you like these videos, then you will love our Online Video Courses. They are like having a pediatric nurse (who believes in you!) at your fingertips, and new content is added regularly. We walk with you step by step through each stage of the parenting journey with our bite-sized, value-packed videos that coach you through schedule transitions and developmental milestones, all while addressing the most common questions, topics, and concerns that we’ve heard in our 20+ years of pediatric (and parenting) experience.
Want more personalized support? With each and every Moms on Call Consulting experience, we have one goal in mind—to equip you with the confidence you need to become the best parent possible for your child. We are proud to partner with Certified Consultants who are uniquely trained to work with families utilizing the Moms on Call philosophy. All consultants are licensed nurses with pediatric experience who have used Moms on Call within their own homes. Book your personal consultation with one of our Premier Certified Moms on Call Consultants!