5 Things to Consider When Buying a Crib Mattress
A crib mattress is more than just a sleep surface for baby. What things should we consider when buying a crib mattress? Moms on Call has partnered with Colgate Mattress to answer all of your crib mattress questions!
You will do anything to protect and bring comfort to your new bundle of joy. One of the most important decisions expecting moms will make is what crib mattress to choose. Why? Because a crib mattress is much more than a sleep surface – it’s a growth and development center.
Why is crib mattress safety so important?
To help answer this question we are asked so frequently, we turned to our friends at Colgate Mattress®. They’ve handcrafted crib mattresses for over 65 years and know that selecting a baby’s first mattress can be an overwhelming task. Colgate has been our trusted resource for years in helping us understand the differences between mattresses, what features are most important, and the best options at every price point.
Consider these important tips as you begin to determine how to choose a crib mattress that is just right for your little one.
- Examine the Label
- A great place to start is the label. Manufacturers are required by law to reveal what a mattress is made of. Don’t buy a mattress from a manufacturer or retailer that doesn’t tell you this information through the label, online specifications, or in-store displays. In fact, you should be able to find out the components of each individual layer, from cover to cover. To ensure the absence of harmful chemicals, look for GREENGUARDTM and CertiPUR-US® certifications.
- Look for a Firm Mattress
- The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends a crib with a firm crib mattress as a safe sleep environment for infants. So whether you’re searching for a foam or innerspring mattress, look for firmness. For both types of mattresses, the general rule is the firmer, the better. Newborns develop rapidly over the first two years, which is why you need to find a mattress designed specifically to cater to an infant’s growth. A firm and flat mattress base provides the resistance necessary for developing and strengthening muscles as an infant begins to push up, turn and eventually stand in the crib.
- You Can’t Tell a Mattress by its Cover
- With a mattress, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. Understanding the different components inside the mattress is essential for your baby’s safety and comfort. For instance, are there any cushioning layers? What materials are used? Is there a flammability barrier? Is there waterproof backing? There’s much more to a mattress than just a cute cover. Consider an all-natural option that is created for the parent wanting a mattress for their baby that is made with 100% non-synthetic components for the healthiest and most comfortable sleep environment possible.
- Get the Right Crib Mattress Size
- Make sure the mattress will fit snugly inside the crib. This means there shouldn’t be any gaps in-between the mattress and the corners or sides of the crib. The goal is to have the crib mattress fit either very snug or moderately snug in the crib. A good rule of thumb is that no more than two fingers of space should exist between the side of the mattress and the crib frame. Any more than that, the crib mattress is too small and could be a suffocation and entrapment hazard.
- Buy New
- If possible, buy a new crib mattress.
- We recommend a dual-firmness crib mattress like the Sleep & Grow Crib Mattress. It features extra-firm support that infants need on one side and less firmness on the other side to provide the comfort that toddlers prefer so that it will grow with your baby and their nursery!
- Not only does it ensure the mattress is sanitary, but you also won’t have to worry about how it was previously used or stored. One exception to the rule: if you buy a new mattress for your first child, store it in a storage bag to keep it clean and dry. Then you can use it for your next child!
- If possible, buy a new crib mattress.
Colgate Mattress is a third-generation, family-owned and operated company comprised of committed craftsmen. They have always chosen to use non-toxic barrier fabrics instead of harsh flame-retardant chemicals to give parents peace of mind. Their products not only meet but truthfully exceed all federal regulation standards. Made in Atlanta, GA, each crib mattress is put through a stringent testing program to ensure a safe night’s sleep for both you and your baby.
The company is legendary for their commitment to exacting manufacturing standards and using only the highest quality components because, as they say, “while many crib mattresses may look similar on the outside, we know it’s what’s on the inside that counts.” When it comes to your baby’s safety, especially regarding sleep, there are no compromises to be made, which is why Colgate is your one-stop shop for your crib mattress needs.
Colgate has graciously offered MOC parents 10% off of any purchase sitewide. Use code MOC10! Expires December 31, 2021.