Nail Clipping 101
We can’t keep those cute little fingers locked up in baby mittens forever. We know how scary clipping baby’s nails can be and we are here to help! Keep reading for Moms on Call’s nail clipping 101.
Written by Moms on Call
Moms on Call is excited to walk you through all of the ins and outs of parenting birth through toddlerhood. Today we discuss nail clipping, and although newborn nails may be tiny, they are fierce!
Bath time has ended, and it’s a great time to clip baby’s nails. Let’s get real, we can’t keep those cute little fingers locked up in baby mittens forever. At Moms on Call we know how scary trimming their tiny nails can be and we are here to help!
Tips for clipping nails:
- Use nail clippers with a grip at the end
- This will help you hold on to the clippers easily
- Baby’s back is against your chest
- Gently place baby’s finger on your index finger
- Pull the skin under the nail away from the nail
- Gently guide the edge of the nail clipper under the nail
- This will create a white line on the nail, making it easy to see where we are clipping
- It may take a few clips per nail. Be patient and stay calm.
- Baby may be wiggly, making nail clipping difficult
- Put it on hold and try again later. You don’t have to clip all 10 fingernails in the same sitting!
- Other great times for nail clipping are after they have eaten or when they are asleep.
Watch our Baby Basics video for a demonstration of proper nail clipping!
Remember, these moments are great bonding experiences with baby. These are the times to talk with baby about your day and, if we’ve been away from them, how we have missed them.
Be sure to watch the rest of our Baby Basics videos for tips that will help to make life just a little simpler. And if you like these videos, then you will love our Online Video Courses. They are like having a pediatric nurse (who believes in you!) at your fingertips and new content is added regularly. We walk with you step by step through each stage of the parenting journey with our bite-sized, value-packed videos that coach you through schedule transitions and developmental milestones, all while addressing the most common questions, topics and concerns that we’ve heard in our 20+ years of pediatric (and parenting) experience.
Our courses are designed to perfectly complement our books, swaddle blankets and apps. At Moms On Call, we are dedicated to providing positive, practical and effective ways to help parents feel more confident and rested. You’re already a great parent—we’re here to help you better understand your little one and enjoy the parenting process with practical advice that really works! Visit our website at www.momsoncall.com to view all of our resources that will help you to sleep, feed, laugh and love birth through toddlerhood!