Bringing Home Baby
Bringing home baby comes with lots of to do’s. Moms on Call simplifies the first few weeks, with a list of what to expect, our basic videos for those first few moments and more!
This is the moment you’ve dreamed about and waited for. You’ve planned for this day and have curated a special place in your home for this little one. It’s FINALLY time to bring home baby!! Umm, YAY!!!! This is more than a celebration, this special moment will be in your memories forever. So, what do those first few moments at home look like? And what can you do to prepare?
In those first few days at home, you will learn the basics of caring for your baby. It can feel a bit overwhelming walking into your home with a new little being that you’ve created without an instruction manual! No worries, Moms on Call’s got you covered! Take a look at our Basic Videos linked below for those first special moments at home!
Now we’ve mastered the basics and are settling into the day to day routine. But what does the day to day look like for those first two weeks?
Here is a quick breakdown of what the day to day routine looks like during the first 2 weeks, before we progress into schedules.
- Feed on demand every 2-3 hours
- From the start of one feeding to the start of the next!
- We are feeding for 30-45 minutes ‘start to finish’. Including burping (for both breast and bottle fed babies).
- Try and spend about 2-3 minutes burping (do it ¾ of the way through the feeding and at the end).
- Keeping baby awake for feedings can be the most challenging part!
- Scratch the bottoms of their feet.
- Undress them down to the diaper.
- You can also wipe their heads with a cool washcloth to help them stay awake for the feeding.
- Extend tons of grace – you are both just getting the hang of this!
- Those first two weeks are a transition period for the entire family.
- You’ve got this!
- Then if baby is healthy and gaining weight we can adjust to the 2-4 Week Typical Day Schedule found in the Moms on Call Resources.
- Babies with GI reflux are considered “healthy” as long as they are gaining weight
In those first few weeks we are keeping track of wet/dirty diapers, feeds and, well, just about everything! The brand new Moms on Call Scheduler 2.0 app is the perfect tool for busy parents ready to calm the chaos and create predictable routines that actually work! Based on decades of pediatric health and development experience, we’ve designed a solution that allows parents to implement Moms on Call’s Typical Day schedules while easily tracking naps, nighttime sleep, feedings and diaper changes without stress.
- Consistency is key!
- Having a few key markers in the day creates familiarity for our little ones.
- Stick to the schedule as much as life allows!
- Set realistic expectations!
- Especially for those daytime naps!
- Extend tons of grace!
- This journey is new and there will be bumps in the road, that is completely normal!
Looking for More?
Here is a list of blogs where we discuss some more first’s!